Королевство Сербии, КСХС и Югославии - Медаль Милоша Обилича "За храбрость", 1913.

Lot 245

To be Sold on: 10 May 2017

Estimate: £1,400 - £1,800
dnw.co.uk
An extremely rare Serbian Oblitch Bravery Medal in gold group of six awarded to Ambulance Driver G. S. Jensen, Scottish Women’s Hospitals, for her gallantry during the disastrous Serbian retreat of 1915

British War and Victory Medals (G. S. Jensen.); Serbia, Oblitch Bravery Medal, 30mm., bronze-gilt; Serbia, Oblitch Bravery Medal, 35mm., ‘gold’; Russia, St George’s Cross for Bravery, an early replacement silver issue, reverse officially numbered ‘83272’, lacking class designation and with unofficial suspension, with Scottish Women’s Hospitals 1914-18 Service Medal, official awards mounted as worn in this order, Russian award worn, remainder nearly very fine (6) £1400-1800
Footnote
Provenance: Fevyer Collection, November 1998.

Gladys Sophie Jensen served as an ambulance driver for the Scottish Women’s Hospitals unit during the Great War. She served in Serbia, and ‘at Nish, the horror of war soon became apparent to the staff as they entered a Serbian military hospital where they were to assist: “Every inch of space was occupied - it was impossible to pass between the beds, for the poor patients were mostly lying on the floor, some on hay and straw, and others on the bare stone or wooden floors. Sick and wounded lay crowded together - men who had just undergone the amputation of limbs; men in the grip of typhoid, dysentery, or frostbite...” The SWH quickly got to work and by the time of the Serbian retreat, four units were in operation...

The ultimate test of this adaptability would come in October 1915, when the combined strength of the Austrians, Germans and Bulgarians fell upon the Serbs. As their hosts crumbled into retreat, the fate of the hospitals varied. Inglis [Dr Elsie Inglis] and some others were captured, having elected to stay with their patients. Others took part in the terrible retreat across the mountains of Albania that cost the lives of some 200,000 Serbs.’ (Under The Devil’s Eye, Britain’s Forgotten Army At Salonika 1915-1918, A. Wakefield & S. Moody refers)

Jensen chose to take part in the retreat, and distinguished herself as follows, ‘daughter of Mr H. F. Jensen, 37 Stanley Avenue, Wallasey, has been awarded the Serbian Gold Medal for conspicuous bravery while serving as a motor-driver with the London units of the Scottish Women’s Hospital in Rumania.

The official account of his young lady’s bravery is as follows:

During the retreat from Medjidieh it was discovered that the whole convoy was running short of petrol, and this meant that some of the lorries and ambulances must be abandoned. Miss Gladys Jensen, one of the ambulance drivers, volunteered to return to the town with a car and bring back enough to enable the whole transport to continue their retreat. The commandant gave her consent, but Miss Jensen had just started, accompanied by a Serbian mechanic, a lad of about seventeen years of age, when a Serbian officer rode up and told the commandant, that it was madness for her to go, as already the Germans and Austrians were shelling the town. They tried in vain to stop Miss Jensen, but it was too late. This young girl - she was only about twenty two - faced death to save, rather than to abandon the ambulances, which were so much needed. Her perilous drive was crowned with success, and for this deed she was awarded the Gold Medal for Conspicuous Bravery.’ (copy of extract from a contemporary Wallasey newspaper refers)

Jensen was decorated accordingly (all the awards are confirmed), however, upon her return to the UK things eventually took a turn for the worst:

‘One of the only two women to be awarded the Gold Cross [sic] of Serbia, the Serbian ‘V.C.’, was at Liverpool County Court, today, granted her discharge in bankruptcy subject to a suspension of three months.

She is Gladys Sophie Jensen, who formerly carried on business in partnership as a dress designer in Bold Street, Liverpool and Wallasey. She is now a poultry farmer at Maidenhead.

For Miss Jensen, Mr T. D. Morgan said that before the War she was a physical training instructress in Margate. In 1915 she joined the Scottish Women’s Hospital Unit as an ambulance driver and took part in the Serbian retreat... In 1916 she was invalided home and was an invalid for some time.

She started the Liverpool business with the help of her father in partnership with a practical dress designer. It went well until 1925 when she had a serious riding accident. When she returned the business was going downhill. According to the Official Receiver’s report Miss Jensen was adjudicated bankrupt in 1928, the liabilities were £2,127.’ (newspaper cutting included with the lot refers)

Sold with a copy of Little Grey Partridge - First World War Diary of Isobel Ross who served with the Scottish Women’s Hospitals unit in Serbia, and copied research.

Вложения

• Internet Image 10.jpg
    Internet Image 10.jpg
    1.3 MB · Просмотры: 447
  • Internet Image 10-1.jpg
    Internet Image 10-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Просмотры: 462
Спасибо !
Второй сет поинтереснее будет, но не медали Обилича будут образовывать цену .

хреновую картинку в сети увидел

Вложения

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178 KB · Просмотры: 433
награждения...

Вложения

• gazeta.jpg
    gazeta.jpg
    179.1 KB · Просмотры: 436
  • gazeta1.jpg
    gazeta1.jpg
    193 KB · Просмотры: 388

Вложения

• gazeta2.jpg
    gazeta2.jpg
    215.2 KB · Просмотры: 416
  • gazeta3.jpg
    gazeta3.jpg
    197.8 KB · Просмотры: 427
  • gazeta4.jpg
    gazeta4.jpg
    182.7 KB · Просмотры: 398
A Regimentally unique Battle of the Somme Indian Distinguished Service Medal, and Serbian Obilic Medal to Rifleman Kisne Burathoke, attached 2nd Battalion, 8th Gurkha Rifles.
Auction Starts: 1 week 5 days 00:13:06 (Mon 02 Oct 09:00AM BST)
Lot: 10/17/31
Opening Bid: £775
Estimate: £775-850
Buyer's Premium: 12.5%
Condition: Good very fine
Availability: IN STOCK
Buyer's Premium: 12.5%
Description:

India Distinguished Service Medal, Geo V, Kaiser-I-Hind named to 3859 Rifleman Kisne Burathoke, 1-8 Gurkha Rifles. Serbia. Medal of Milos Obilic for Bravery in silver, small size silvered bronze.

Awarded the IDSM for actions during the Battle of the Somme, later awarded the Serbian Medal in 1917, he is the only recipient of the Milos Obilic Medal in the 8th Gurkha Rifles. Given as Kishne Burathoki in the roll.

Вложения

• obilich.jpeg
    obilich.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Просмотры: 344
  • obilich1.jpeg
    obilich1.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Просмотры: 369
  • obilich2.jpeg
    obilich2.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Просмотры: 389
https://www.dnw.co.uk/auctions/catalogue/lot.php?auction_id=462&lot_id=12405

Lot 889

To be Sold on: 7 December 2017

Estimate: £500 - £700

The Barrett J. Carr Collection of Nurses Medals
Six: Nursing Sister Dorothy M. Newhall, British Red Cross Society & Order of St. John of Jerusalem, and Serbian Relief Fund

1914 Star, with copy clasp (D. M. Newhall, B.R.C.S. & O. St. J.J.); Serbia, Order of St. Sava, 2nd type, Fourth Class badge, silver-gilt and enamel, slight enamel damage; Oblitch Bravery Medal, silvered bronze; Medal for Zeal, silvered bronze; Serbian Retreat Medal 1915, silver and bronze; Cross of Mercy, bronze and enamel, very fine and better (6) £500-700
Footnote
Provenance: Tony Sabell Collection, Dix Noonan Webb, December 2012.

Miss Dorothy Minnie Newhall served with the British Red Cross Society during the Great War on the Western Front from 29 October 1914. She then served with the Serbian Relief Fund as a Sanitary Inspector, 1 April 1915 to 27 August 1919, as the following account illustrates:

‘I found Dot Newhall the friendliest and jolliest of the hospital staff. She was their sanitary inspector. She told me that the hospital was a paradise to what it had been when they arrived. It had been used by the Bulgars and the filth was indescribable. I came across her because the scandal of my bug. I had three sleepless nights - one with a louse, next with a mouse, which ran over my face, and the third, at the hospital, with a bug. When I found how deeply Dot Newhall took the bug to heart I Protested that I had brought it with me - I hadn’t realised what an insult and reproach a bug would be to a sanitary inspector in an English hospital.
After Dot had cleansed my room by burning sulphur in it, and going round all the crevices with a blow-pipe, we had tea together, and I asked her what had been the worst moments in her war experiences. She laughed gaily. “That is difficult to say,” she said. “I was in the retreat from Mons first. That wasn’t exactly a picnic. Then I joined the Serbian Relief Find and went out with Mrs. Stobart’s Hospital Unit to Kragujevatz. The peasants came from all around, and there was a lot of typhus, diphtheria, and relapsing fever amongst them. After a bit I caught typhus. It was extremely painful. We were so short-handed that I kept on disinfecting the patients and doing all my ordinary duties when my temperature was 104. When I took to my bed I had horrible nightmares and frightful pains in my back and legs. They thought I was going to die, but I knew I wasn’t. But I was starving and they wouldn’t give me anything to eat, except slops. At last a Serb orderly brought me some beef and fried potatoes, and though I was so weak I could only eat it with my fingers, from that time on I got better.
“And you were in the Albanian Retreat?” I asked, awed.
“You bet I was,” she said, “but Albania was only a little bit of it. We were retreating for six weeks. The mountain part of it was grim, but it was very beautiful- better than the Alps...’

Note: Her Medal Index Card states: ‘Not entitled to B.W.M. and V.M.’ Whilst the presence of a 1914 Star clearly indicates that she was entitled to these awards, it is equally clear that she never received them.

Sold together with the recipient’s silver identity bracelet inscribed, ‘D. A. M. Newhall 1914 R.A.M.C. France .... 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919 .....’ and ‘3.9.39 1 York Chambers, London Argo 244/1’, some inscription obscure due to wear; a ‘Serbian Relief Fund’ lapel badge, enamelled; ‘S.R.F.’ collar dog and a cloth ‘four-chevron’ badge; riband bars; Bestowal Certificte for the Oblitch Medal; Bestowal Certificate for the Serbian Retreat Medal 1915; various letters, including a Serbian Relief Fund reference letter, dated 27 August 1919, and a Foreign Office letter dated 24 June 1927 to accompany a diploma from the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes for her services rendered during the war in connection with relief work in Serbia; and various other copied research.

Мисс Дороти Минни Ньюхолл работала с Британским обществом Красного Креста во время Великой войны на Западном фронте с 29 октября 1914 года. Затем она служила в Сербском фонде помощи в качестве санитарного инспектора с 1 апреля 1915 года по 27 августа 1919 года, поскольку следующий отчет иллюстрирует :

«Я нашел Dot Newhall самым дружелюбным и веселым из сотрудников больницы. Она была их санитарным инспектором. Она рассказала мне, что больница была рай для того, что было, когда они прибыли. Он был использован булгарами, и грязь была неописуема. Я наткнулся на нее, потому что скандал с моей ошибкой. У меня было три бессонных ночи - одна с вошей, рядом с мышью, которая пробежала по моему лицу, а третья - в больнице с ошибкой. Когда я обнаружил, насколько глубоко Dot Newhall воспринял ошибку в глубине души, я протестовал против того, что я привез ее с собой, - я не понял, что такое оскорбление и упрек в том, что ошибка будет связана с санитарным инспектором в английской больнице.
После того, как Тота очистила мою комнату, сжигая в ней серу, и обошла все расщелины с помощью продувочной трубы, у нас был чай вместе, и я спросил ее, что было самым худшим моментом в ее военных событиях. Она весело рассмеялась. «Трудно сказать, - сказала она. «Сначала я был в отступлении от Монса. Это был не совсем пикник. Затем я присоединился к Службе спасения Сербии и отправился в отделение больницы миссис Стобарт в Крагуевац. Крестьяне пришли со всех сторон, и среди них было много тифа, дифтерии и рецидивирующей лихорадки. После немного я поймал тиф. Это было очень болезненно. Мы были настолько короткими, что продолжали дезинфицировать пациентов и выполнять все свои обычные обязанности, когда мне было 104. Когда я забрался на кровать, у меня были ужасные кошмары и ужасные боли в спине и ногах. Они думали, что я умру, но я знал, что это не так. Но я голодал, и они не давали мне ничего, кроме еды. Наконец, сербский ординарец принес мне говядину и жареный картофель, и хотя я был так слаб, я мог есть его только пальцами, с того времени я поправлялся.
«И ты был в албанском отступлении?» - спросил я, испуганно.
«Вы держите пари, что я был, - сказала она, - но Албания была всего лишь немного. Мы отступали шесть недель. Горная часть была мрачной, но она была очень красивой - лучше, чем Альпы ... »

Примечание. В ее карточке указателя медали указано: «Не имеет права на B.W.M. и V.M. «Пока присутствие Звезды 1914 года ясно указывает, что она имела право на эти награды, одинаково ясно, что она так и не получила их.

Продается вместе с серебряным личным браслетом получателя с надписью «D. A. M. Newhall 1914 R.A.M.C. Франция .... 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919 ..... 'и' 3.9.39 1 York Chambers, London Argo 244/1 ', некоторая надпись неясная из-за износа; значок лацкана «Сербский фонд помощи», эмалированный; «S.R.F.» воротничная собака и тряпочный значок «четыре шеврона»; решетчатые стержни; Приказ о награждении медалью Oblitch; Свидетельство о вручении для медали Сербского отступления 1915; различные письма, в том числе справочное письмо Сербского фонда помощи от 27 августа 1919 года и письмо министерства иностранных дел от 24 июня 1927 года, в котором он должен был сопроводить диплом Королевства сербов, хорватов и словенцев за ее услуги, оказанные во время войны в связи с оказанием помощи в Сербии; и различные другие скопированные исследования.

Вложения

• Nursing Sister Dorothy M. Newhall.jpg
    Nursing Sister Dorothy M. Newhall.jpg
    1.3 MB · Просмотры: 423
серебрянную взял

Вложения

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Просмотры: 396
так-же Деланде

Вложения

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Просмотры: 413
на "колечке" - BRONZE

Вложения

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Просмотры: 416
в полный рост

Вложения

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Просмотры: 409
вот такого красавчика приобрёл

Вложения

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Просмотры: 425
люблю всякое непонятное :blush2:

контррельеф :swoon:

Вложения

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Просмотры: 429
Посмотрите, пожалуйста, стоит ли эту медаль брать? Посеребренная? Колечко другое должно быть? Правда, картинки, никакие, от продавца. Другие не делает.

Вложения

• 67721634.jpg
    67721634.jpg
    116.7 KB · Просмотры: 440
  • 67721634 (1).jpg
    67721634 (1).jpg
    53.2 KB · Просмотры: 419
  • 67721634 (2).jpg
    67721634 (2).jpg
    32.5 KB · Просмотры: 272
  • 67721634 (3).jpg
    67721634 (3).jpg
    52.4 KB · Просмотры: 434
Последнее редактирование модератором:
Спасибо, купил. Получу, сделаю фото лучше.

Получил... колечко запаяно. Интересно, производство чьё?

Вложения

• IMG_20180226_132726.jpg
    IMG_20180226_132726.jpg
    470.7 KB · Просмотры: 422
  • IMG_20180226_132637.jpg
    IMG_20180226_132637.jpg
    489.5 KB · Просмотры: 400
  • IMG_20180226_132525.jpg
    IMG_20180226_132525.jpg
    65 KB · Просмотры: 412
в продаже сейчас

Numbered Serbian 'Gold' Medal for Bravery (Milos Obilic)

NEW!
'Gold' Medal for Bravery (Milos Obilic), used in the Balkan War/WW1 period as award to Officers for battlefield bravery. Very attractive and numbered by hand engraving 'N.17' (bottom of reverse). We have only seen 2 numbered examples of similar medal in the past 40 years. It is said to be possible to conduct research on the recipient in Serbian sources but we will leave this to the new owner. Clearly, this was an early award. Medal in worn yet good condition. Remarkable, original ribbon is also worn and shows age and typical Swiss construction (ribbons used by the firm of Huguenin in Le Locle were of rather poor weave and threads separated easily). 36mm in diameter. This would make an excellent addition to any Serbian/WW1 medal collection. Item # Ser-43 (225)

$225.00

Вложения

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Просмотры: 409
Сверху